CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 18, 2011

Journal entry

Well my weekly journal entries are a little behind.  Not that I haven't thought about them, just that Sunday's have been so busy and I have been working Mondays.  Today is my first morning home so I am trying to catch up a little.

A few weeks ago I was reading the last conference Ensign and was reading a talk by Elder Richard G. Scott entitled The Transforming Power of Faith and Character.  I thought this talk was so profound.  It really helped me to understand that by living the Gospel each day we build our faith and our character.  Some quotes that I really liked are:
"Faith and character are intimately related. Faith in the power of obedience to the commandments of God will forge strength of character available to you in times of urgent need."
"Your exercise of faith in true principles builds character; fortified character expands your capacity to exercise more faith.  As a result, your capacity and confidence to conquer the trials of life is enhanced.  The more your character is fortified, the more enabled you are to benefit from exercising the power of faith."
And my favorite:
"We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day.  Righteous character is a precious manifestation of what you are becoming."

When I was younger I struggled alot with feeling that I never measure up to what I should be doing.  Yes I strived to live the Gospel, but at heart I feel that I was too lazy and selfish to really do all that the Lord requires of me.  One day I was teaching Relief Society on a subject I don't remember, but several times I discussed my short comings.  Afterwards a sister came up to me (She was probably 15 years older than I was, and had only been active in the church for 5 years or so, I believe) she said to me:  "If you think you have no hope, then what hope is there for the rest of us?"  This one statement helped me more than anything else.  It really made me contemplate where I was on the road back to my Heavenly Father.  Was I one of the valiant?  Was I doing my best?  After this I started to give myself a little mercy.  I realized that although there was always room for improvement I was trying to live the Gospel, and no I wasn't perfect, but the Lord knew my heart and my intentions even if I didn't get around to doing all of them. 
   I don't think this sister will ever know that her one statement helped me so much those 10 - 15 years ago, but it truly did.  Elder Scott's talk further helps me to want to strive to rid myself of unchristlike attributes and do my best to live the Gospel and become what I truly want to be.

1 comments:

Zac & Chelsea

I made a small handout for this lesson and on one side I put. "I become what I want to be by consistently being what I want to become." I told the women to keep it in my scriptures. I didn't love thia talk before my lesson, but I definitely did after.

Post a Comment