CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Priorities and the Temple

[print_link]  I have been contemplating priorities over the last few days.  It is difficult for me to understand how active members of the church see things so differently.  One of these is temple attendance.  It seems there is a wide degree of difference among members as to what is expected of us concerning temple attendance.  On the one hand you have my mother who works at the temple one day a week and attends the temple another day a week.  She has failing eyesight and the drive is generally 45 minutes away.  To me she has her priorities straight; she has plenty of time, but failing health makes it difficult for her but not impossible for her to attend the temple regularly.  There are many challenges that keep us from the temple; children, distance, cost, time, etc.  No matter what stage of life we are in Satan tries his best to keep us from attending the temple.  Everyone faces this challenge in one way or another.  How do we overcome it?  What is expected of us?  Is it okay to attend the temple once or twice a year?  What does attend the temple regularly mean?  I often run into those who say that the cost and distance to attend the temple makes it almost impossible (we live 4 hours from the temple), my concern is that often I see these same people with cell phones with data plans or eating out or other accessories that are nice but not necessary (at least in my opinion).  Granted it is costly to attend the temple - gas, food, etc.  I remember when we were a young married couple living in Provo, UT.  We had a desire to go to the temple regularly (at least monthly) - but our funds were very limited.  Distance wasn't a problem but paying for babysitting, renting our clothing, often kept us from going as often as we felt we should. 
  I guess the point of all this is what do you think the Lord expects of us concerning temple attendance.  I understand that the answer will be different for each of us.  Our stage of life, economic circumstances, distance from the temple, etc. all come in to play.  Do you feel that we will be judged according to how we have made the temple a priority in our lives?  Are there other ways to make it a priority without attending?
  Personally I feel its a matter of priority.  If we make it a priority we will find a way to attend as often as we can and we will be blessed in other ways for that attendance.

4 comments:

Heidi

I've thoughtfully considered this question a lot-- usually because I don't think I do make the temple enough of a priority and I am trying to think of how I can make it there more often. I've spent a great deal of time pondering just what the Lord expects of me personally in regards to temple attendance.

I definitely believe that how you define "regularly" depends on your individual circumstances. Certainly I live closer to the temple than many people do, but it is not so easy to find time when I can make it to the temple with the schedule our family is on. I can't often afford a babysitter, and when we can, we're then in the dilemma of date night? or temple night for mommy? (We would love to combine the two, but Terence only has Sunday & Monday off. So often the question also involves rescheduling FHE also...but our marriage is a priority. Balancing all this stuff is tricky!) We've gotten around it by me going to the earliest session possible on one Saturday a month-- that's about the most we can usually fit in with people moving, other Saturday activities, and my own sheer exhaustion. Then Terence "watches" the kids (or rather they run a little wild while he catches up on his sleep from late nights at work). Anyway, for my husband though, temple attendance is about one or two times a year. Since it takes a vacation day for him to go, perhaps this is regularly for him (I guess that's between him and the Lord).

I think it's just important that we really take a close look at our personal desires-- is the temple really close to our heart? If it is, then we will do all we can in our individual circumstances to be there as often as possible. If it isn't, what is holding us back? We can always start with praying for a stronger desire to attend and let the Lord help us change our hearts.

Vera

Heidi,
Thanks for the comment - I totally agree. When we were living in Vegas they were encouraging us to go to the temple weekly if possible. We had kids old enough to babysit while we went, so we thought we should try. We started going but I didn't really feel the spirit when I went. For some reason it was too often for me at the time - the kids were stressed about having to babysit so long each week (about a 4 hour turn around time to go) and it took up any date night time we had plus some. I realized that going weekly just because we were encouraged to was not the right thing for us to do. We needed to do what was right for our family. I know that Terence's service to the ward will bless your lives as much as if he was able to attend the temple more regularly. There were many years Ken slept through some of church because he had just gotten off the night shift, but I know he and our family were blessed by his dedication.

Lauri Erekson

I have thought a lot about this the last year! I feel like I attended the temple a lot more often before I was married. It helped that I lived 5 minutes from the temple. Living in Lund is FAR from the temple! Though it is far to travel (especially compared to my 5 minutes in Arizona) it really isn't far compared to the distance many members of the church have to travel. When we are out of town I always have a huge list to shop for. When we have made the choice to go to the temple before we do all our other shopping and running around it has worked well. A few times Jack has taken the kids to do Baptisms for the Dead. They always need someone to help with baptisms and confirmations and Jack enjoys the opportunity to serve. It is important to me that the kids attend the temple and gain strength from their own temple experience. While Jack has been in the temple with the older kids, I have taken Parker to the Visitor Center. It has been a wonderful experience and has been a spiritual boost to be there with my 4 year old. He LOVES to see the statue of Christ.

A few times we have planned to go to the temple and didn't make the time to do it. I always regret it when we don't put it as a priority. Satan knows how to get to me and make it so I don't want to go to the temple, but to get the shopping done and head home. I hate it when I let him win.

One time we went to the temple with friends (drove down together), ate lunch and came home. I really liked that because the focus was the temple.

We are trying to do better this year! I sure need the strength as a mom that I receive in the temple.

Lauri Erekson

Vera

Lauri,
I have those same challenges and blessings, when I make time for the temple the other things I NEED to get done out of town, either happen or don't seem as necessary.
I had a hard time when our ward asked us not to go out to eat or to Costco on youth temple trips (we just drove 4 hours and have necessary shopping to do :0), but I did understand that when the kids left the temple and went home they were able to cherish that experience more, without distractions.
I know the Lord will bless you for your efforts.

Post a Comment