CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 23, 2011

History of Relief Society

What do you think of when you hear the History of Relief Society?  I think of a small group of women in pioneer times, sitting around quilting, making shirts for the temple workers, canning, etc.  We are also reminded that Joseph Smith would come and teach the Relief Society about spiritual things.  Although this is history there has been alot of history created between then and now.  I don't remember ever being afraid of going to Relief Society - although I was still 17 when I went to college so I didn't attend a home ward until sometime later.  My mother set a great example for me, it seemed that she loved Relief Society.  I remember as a young girl going to Relief Society work days.  The sisters would quilt or possibly other projects and we kids just had a great time playing together.  Then we would eat - I remember that being my least favorite part - it seemed all they liked to eat were SALADS.  I remember my mom making a few crafts or at least we had them in our home, like "glass grapes", but most of all I remember the service she rendered to others through Relief Society.  I have served about half of my married life in Relief Society callings and have been blessed beyond measure.  I have improved upon the skills and talents that the Lord has given me through Relief Society - some of these include woodworking, writing plays, cooking, sewing, and teaching.  I am truly grateful for the heritage of Relief Society that I have been blessed with.  I am grateful to see my daughters who carry on this heritage of loving Relief Society. 
I am excited to study the history of Relief Society throughout the year.  Sister Beck gave a wonderful talk on the importance of the history of Relief Society.  "We study our history to learn who we are. There is a worldwide hunger among good women to know their identity, value, and importance. Studying and applying the history of Relief Society gives definition and expression to who we are as disciples and followers of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Our faithfulness and service are signs of our conversion and commitment to remember and follow Him." Ensign November 2010
I tried to think of one incident where Relief Society has blessed my life, but there are many, from a loving visiting teacher who came over on my birthday and arranged to have my children help her clean my house, to a Relief Society president who lovingly helped me fill out a food order, to the wonderful friends I have made through visiting teaching.  I am grateful that the Lord understood the needs of women and provided this wonderful organization that helps me fulfill my role of wife, mother, and daughter of God.

1 comments:

Zac & Chelsea

I remember cleaning the house for your birthday, and I remember her bringing poinsettia flowers over for you as well, but I don't remember who it was.

Post a Comment